Thursday, March 11, 2010

'The Circle of Life' - The Lion King

My dad's mom, Grandma Hough, passed away peacefully last night. She was 95. I'm so grateful I was able to dash to Idaho to say good-bye to her on Sunday. As I reflected last night on her life, Gary's conference talk, 'Regrets and Reunions' came to mind. All dysfunction and human failings aside, I know my Grandma and Grandpa Hough loved Jackie and I very much. The divorce of my parents was out of their control, and mine, but our relationship with each other was affected because of it. But whenever we were together, I felt they loved me in their own way. I'm so grateful both she and my Grandpa Hough are now in a place where they can feel and learn truth, and forgiveness, and love, and progress in the gospel.

We also learned yesterday of my Grandma Parks' test results. She has cancer somewhere in her abdomen and we are waiting for additional test results from the oncologist on Monday that will determine exactly where the cancer is located. She is not strong enough for surgery. She came home from the hospital yesterday and is resting a little more peacefully in her own bed. I was much closer to my Grandma Parks, partly because I spent so much more time with my mom's side of the family. Also because we lived with them for a time after my parents' divorce, and I always felt more like their youngest child than their oldest granddaughter.

I'm so grateful for my knowledge and testimony of eternal things. I am hoping that my Grandpa Parks can seek out my Grandpa and Grandma Hough on the other side of the veil, and begin to mend fences and hearts. As one friend reminded me today, '...think of all the healing that can happen in the presence of such great love.'

I love you, Grandma Mary Selena Larsen Hough.

3 comments:

Sibber said...

Dearest Julene... I'm so sorry for your loss! Know that our love and prayers are with you! Love you deary!

Aubreigh Parks said...

I am so sorry for your loss... what a blessing to know of the miracles that exceed beyond the veil. We didn't know about Grandma Parks... we will be sure to send her our love and keep our prayers with her that she may feel comforted at this time.

Joy :) said...

Wow, what a beautiful post! You made my eyes tear up. :) That is so neat that you have had your grandparents for all these years. Mine all passed away by the time I was 12 and I still always wish I got to spend more time with them, learn more about them and build more memories with them.