I was hoping that voting early would be a bit faster than waiting until next week. I guess that's what everyone else thought too, because by the time I got to our public library at five minutes after the polls were open, the line was already out the door, and snaking down the sidewalk. I waffled for a minute, because I had a schedule to keep and kids to pick up. But I committed and established my place in line. People around me were cheerful and kind, and most seemed to be in good spirits. Perhaps it was because we got to just stand there and enjoy the GORGEOUS fall day. Though I must admit as the minutes seemed to drag on and the line didn't seem to be moving, there were a few times my 'natural man' was showing as some dared to butt in line. I didn't say anything, but I'm sure they felt my eyes boring into the back of their heads. After about an hour I started to complain in my head as my cellphone began ringing with kids wondering where I was and why I hadn't picked them up yet. But then I thought of my beloved Grandpa Parks who was wounded in World War II, and of the sacrifices made by my father-in-law while he served in the air force. Then I was embarrassed. Standing in line is nothing. My kids could wait, dinner would be something simple and thrown together, and errands are over-rated. I'm grateful to live in a country where I can vote, even if I had to wait 90 minutes in line.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
'God Bless the USA' - Lee Greenwood
I was hoping that voting early would be a bit faster than waiting until next week. I guess that's what everyone else thought too, because by the time I got to our public library at five minutes after the polls were open, the line was already out the door, and snaking down the sidewalk. I waffled for a minute, because I had a schedule to keep and kids to pick up. But I committed and established my place in line. People around me were cheerful and kind, and most seemed to be in good spirits. Perhaps it was because we got to just stand there and enjoy the GORGEOUS fall day. Though I must admit as the minutes seemed to drag on and the line didn't seem to be moving, there were a few times my 'natural man' was showing as some dared to butt in line. I didn't say anything, but I'm sure they felt my eyes boring into the back of their heads. After about an hour I started to complain in my head as my cellphone began ringing with kids wondering where I was and why I hadn't picked them up yet. But then I thought of my beloved Grandpa Parks who was wounded in World War II, and of the sacrifices made by my father-in-law while he served in the air force. Then I was embarrassed. Standing in line is nothing. My kids could wait, dinner would be something simple and thrown together, and errands are over-rated. I'm grateful to live in a country where I can vote, even if I had to wait 90 minutes in line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You were really brave to wait in line. I was there 10 minutes before it opened and there was already an hour wait. With 3 kids I hit the road! I've been wondering if I should attempt it again but I think I will wait until the offical voting day and maybe by then the line will be short. :-)
AND... we don't have to worry about getting shot at while we wait.
I hope it's not that crowded when I vote this week! If it is, I'm sure I'll be impatient but you've inspired me to wait it out.
Post a Comment