Friday, March 13, 2009

'Grandpa' - The Judds

This week my Grandpa Parks would have been 86. I miss him so much. He passed away just a few weeks before our son Parker was born, almost 14 years ago. That's one of the reasons Parker bears the name he does. I loved my grandpa so much, and as the oldest grandchild, I was blessed to have him in my life longer than the rest of my siblings and cousins. It felt like he raised me. The older I get, the more I'm mindful of this gift.

When I think of my grandpa, I remember him like he looks in this picture when he was helping build our house....strong and vibrant, working with his hands, in his coveralls and yellow ballcap. Yellow was his favorite color. He was so handsome and tall, with beautiful wavy gray hair. He loved to give whisker rubs, and nicknames. I rarely see or taste a Snickers candy bar without thinking of him.

One of my most precious possessions is the last thing he gave me. He and grandma were driving through Utah on their way to their mission in Oregon. They stopped to say good-bye, and he pulled a pair of his work shoes out of the backseat and said to give them to someone who could use them. He always wore the same kind of work shoes...with white socks. I could never part with the shoes, and after we learned of his sudden death, I hugged them close to me. They are in the bottom of my closet. I pull them out from time to time and am reminded of what he taught me by example...integrity, honesty, sacrifice, and the strongest love of family I have ever known. I love you, grandpa. I miss you.

Love, Buzz

7 comments:

janelle said...

I still think of him often! And still remember his wonderful (and packed) funeral! He really is an amazing man! I imagine he's REAL busy right now, with all of his talents! :)

Collette said...

He had an impact on my life as well. The only man I've called 'Grandpa' that I'm not related to. And he was a dear grandpa to so many. You don't come across too many Grandpa Parks in your life!

Jessica said...

I didn't know Grandpa as well as everyone else but I have distinct memories of him while I did know him. I still have my Yellow dress that he gave me just before he died. His favorite color Yellow. I wore it so much and couldn't stop wearing it until my mom made me put it away because I tore it in the back because I had way out grown it! He had a nick name for EVERYONE and I remember mine very well... frogfeathers... I don't know why but that was my name. I love him so much and do think of him often!

Niesha said...

I was cheated out of ever meeting Grandpa... but I have been peiceing his life together just from stories and blog posts, and from what I have gathered he was truly a great man! I can only hope to lead a life HALF as good as his. I also couldn't help but notice the stricking resemblance between he and my husband... What a stonge gene he has!

kimberly said...

i miss grandpa too. he was wonderful and so loving and caring and gave great hugs. i will never forget the yellow bathroom in there house because that was his favorite color. great post.. thanks for the great reminder of our wonderful grandpa.

Anny said...

Julene, I haven't checked your blog for awhile and to click on to that picture was so fun! That is exactly how I remember Grandpa Parks. He really was an amazing man and your tribute to him is too.
The entire Parks family are blessed to be apart of his and Grandma Park's posterity.

Laura said...

I miss Grandpa too!! I love that picture. I haven't seen a pic like that for a long time.It gave me tears to my eyes. I miss you guys.