Friday, January 8, 2010

'Growing Pains' - TV show theme song

Our family has been in such constant flux of family dynamics, that I think I pulled a muscle.

We have LOVED having Spencer home for the last three months, and regain his place at the top of the sibling totem pole. There's a hole where Taylor should be, and I seem to miss him more, now that his brother is home.

Parenting adult children is a new frontier.

We had to turn around and say good-bye again as Spencer packed his bags and the little car and headed for BYU Idaho last week-end. It was exciting and exhilarating, but bittersweet too. Benji had slept alone in his own room for over a year, but after sharing with Spencer for the last few months, he's now too scared and lonely. After two nights of him in our bed and no sleep, Parker consented to bunk with him till we're over the hump.

I love this picture of the kids we took on the morning Spencer left for Idaho. Classes have started and...I can't believe I'm saying this...thank heavens for texting! We have talked several times on the phone with him, and our daily text conversations are keeping us connected.

But no, Sarah, you're still not getting your own phone.

6 comments:

Collette said...

How exciting and sad! I'm going to be watching your blog obsessively for advice and direction in raising/parenting tweens, teens and adults. I'm scared!! Here's my first question: what's your rule on cell phones? At what age did you allow them?

Emily said...

I've been thinking about him. I hope he is enjoying the flood of girls...if not just give him another month :) Poor Benji.

Emily said...

I've been thinking about him. I hope he is enjoying the flood of girls...if not just give him another month :) Poor Benji.

Joy :) said...

WATCH OUT.....the girls are going to flock to him!!! :)

kimberly said...

from mission straight to college... wow... i'm glad you got to spent a few months with spencer before he left. and i am glad to know i am not the only one with kids in my bed with me at night sometimes with a result of no sleep.

Paige said...

I love it that your daughter doesn't have a phone. We thought we were the last ones to hold out on our daughter. She is 14 and has been begging for a couple years now. I think it is good to want something and not get it. The day will come when she gets one, but she doesn't need it yet. We hope she learns the difference between needs and wants. Fun times!=D I'm pretty sure she will make it. Love ya!