Friday, July 29, 2011

'That's Amore' ' - Dean Martin

In June, Gary and I celebrated our
25th wedding anniversary.
He surprised me by planning a trip to Italy,
just the two of us, for 10 days.
The mother in me said we couldn't leave the kids for that long,
or spend the money with 2 boys in college,
but I'm so glad Gary prevailed.
We just got back from the most glorious adventure.
Here's a few of the highlights...
Bruschetta, Pizza, Pasta, Lasagna. Gelato.
First lunch, second lunch.
First dinner, second dinner.
I'm not kidding.
Rome - the Coliseum and Cathedrals
The charming Italian owner of our favorite restaurant in Rome.
Yes, he was that short.
Florence may have been our favorite city,
but the architecture everywhere was breathtaking.

We added our 'lock of love' by the river in Florence
and tossed the key into the water.
I'd never been to Europe before,
and this trip made us just want to travel more
and broaden our horizons.
We visited the Isle of Capri and observed how the
rich and famous live.
Wasn't that impressed.
But we rented a scooter and toured the island, and that was fun.
We toured the city of Pompei
The view from our balcony in Sorrento
Sorrento was stunning. We learned later why it was so
clean and safe and beautiful...
it's where the Italian Mafia have their vacation homes.
Did I mention how AMAZING the food was everywhere we went?
I dont' think we can ever eat at Olive Garden again.
We loved people watching and chatting with the locals.
Our day driving through the Tuscan countryside and visiting
Sienna and San Gimignano was a highlight.
The rows of olive trees, sunflowers, and vineyards
were so lovely, the pictures just don't do them justice.
GELATO!
At least 4 times a day.
We loved walking through all the villages,
centuries old, holding hands,
and eating our way around the town squares.
Would move here if we could!

Ah, Venice!

Heavenly Father created such beautiful places!

This appeared on our bread plate
at our last meal in Venice,
and pretty much sums up our entire trip.
We haven't had that much time alone together
since before the kids were born,
and it was such a relief to realize how
much we still love and like each other!
Not that I doubted,
but it was just JOY on another level.
One you don't get to very often
because life gets in the way.

Happy anniversary babe.
You make me want to whisper
in Italian in your ear.
Mamma Mia.


3 comments:

Kristie said...

Oh Julene it looks like you had a magnificent time! I had to laugh when you posted how you had to have gelato at least 4 times a day, Shyanne came back from her Italy trip and said the exact same thing!

La Esposa said...

You two are just a.dorable. I can barely handle it.

So jealous! I'll have to let Kyle know NOW what your hubby did for your 25th so he can start saving up now. ;)

Matt and Amie said...

Oh my goodness, I've been waiting for those pictures, and you didnt let me down! What an amazing romantic trip! I am totally jealous. Im so glad you two were able to get away and celebrate! Sure love you guys!