Sunday, November 21, 2010

'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' - Judy Garland


I spent this week-end decorating the house for Christmas.
It's the first time I've ever done it before Thanksgiving,
but I want our home to be ready for the return of our dear boys.
I want to stick to them like velcro
instead of going through boxes and untangling lights.

With the house fairly calm and Christmas music playing,
I can ponder and reflect as I arrange and re-arrange.
I am missing my Grandma Parks.
This will be the first Christmas without her.
I think one of the reasons I love Love LOVE
the Christmas season is because of her.
She seemed to start on December 26th, preparing for the next year.
She made everyone in her family a Christmas stocking
and Grandpa would hang them on their wall.
This is a picture of their wall I took one Christmas.
Now I have my family's stockings, handmade with love by her.

As I anticipate the arrival of our boys,
and the reunion of our family after so long,
I learn again what I already know.
Christmas is about family, and the little things.
I'll unwrap my gift this year as I wrap my arms around my boy
and the rest of my family at the SLC airport
on December 2nd at 4:45pm.
Baggage claim is sacred ground to me now.
The joy we will feel can be seen on the faces in this
Christmas picture of Gary's family taken so many years ago.
Gary's dad is the little tyke in front.
I never got to meet Gary's Grandpa Judd,
but I cherish this picture and the joy on their faces.
We have it in our kitchen year round.
This is a picture of Gary's Grandpa Okerlund
creating the perfect Christmas tree.
Sadly, I didn't get to meet him either.
But I hear wonderful stories about them both,
and get glimpses of them in my husband.

Joy to the World, the Lord is come.
Let earth receive her King.

I sure hope the plane isn't late.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I am so excited for you.

For the first time in my life I am beginning to imagine what it might be to be the mother of a missionary. I think it all started when my 14 year old grew taller than me. Being 6 feet tall a lot of men aren't taller than I am. I have always looked at a mission from the missionary's point of view and what an adventure it is to go off and serve the Lord and experience new things.

It is so different to be the mom and trust Heavenly Father to watch over your boy and bring him home safely. I think it is going to be harder than it seems.

Julene said...

It's hard Bethany, but every time I'd start to get sad, I'd try to imagine how much I'd be crying if he wouldn't or couldn't serve. It's such a blessing to have a missionary. I'm going to miss it so much!

Marg said...

NOTHING beats wrapping your arms around a returning missionary son! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! It's the best! I'll be thinking of you Dec. 2nd. I was at the baggage claim just a few weeks ago as Brittney and I got home from Florida and there were several families waiting for their missionaries. I got choked up and teary and wanted to just watch the whole thing! You'll have such a wonderful Christmas this year! Time for a family portrait while you have everyone home! :o) Love you

nelly said...

I remember Grandma Parks' house at Christmas time too. I remember the stockings. She really loved Christmas.