We went with our cousins to Glenwood, to haul the last load of 'mission hay' of the summer.
We are so grateful to Grandpa and Grammy Judd for all of their hard work and generosity that makes this experience for our kids possible. For almost ten summers, Grandpa has harvested 'mission hay.' He and Grammy do most of the work, like planting, irrigating, cutting, raking and baling, but then they let the grandkids come and haul it. The money that is made from the sale of the hay is deposited into the mission and college funds of the grandkids.
It is often hot and sticky, itchy work, but it always ends up being more fun than not. One of the reasons I love it is because it connects our kids with an era that is harder to find these days. I love so many of the smells...fresh-cut hay, the mixture of gas, oil and farm equipment, and old leather gloves. I love watching my kids work hard with their hands and having fun with their cousins.
It is often hot and sticky, itchy work, but it always ends up being more fun than not. One of the reasons I love it is because it connects our kids with an era that is harder to find these days. I love so many of the smells...fresh-cut hay, the mixture of gas, oil and farm equipment, and old leather gloves. I love watching my kids work hard with their hands and having fun with their cousins.

4 comments:
Julene, My sister gave me your blog. I love it! You are an inspiration to me. Thank you. I'm glad I know you.
what a great way to help them be reponsible for the money earned for their missions and college. It isn't easy to come up with jobs like that.
What a wonderful memory for your kids to look back on!
What a neat tradition!! It's good for kids to work hard like that. And I loved your missionary posts. Makes me anxious for our Scotty Boy to come home too. When you count it in "fast sundays" it seems like nothing!! HAHA
Post a Comment